Sunday, November 14, 2010

So what is Oud?



First and foremost it is my favorite perfume ingridient ;-D

Also known as Agarwood, Oudh, Oud, Agar, Aloeswood! Actually Oud is from wood pieces of the Agarwood wich can be burned as incense or as perfume oil made out of it.

History of Agarwood, Aloeswood or Eaglewood

Agarwood is the resinous heartwood from Aquilaria trees. These trees belong to the Aquilaria genus, Thymelaeceae family. These trees are large evergreens native to South and Southeast Asia. The trees can be easily located from an altitude of few meters above sea level to 1,000 meters above sea level. The beast growth in these trees is seen at average levels of around 400-600 meters. At least fifteen species of Aquilaria trees are known to produce the much sought-after Agarwood. The most common species found in India is Aquilaria achalloga.

Formation of aromatic resin in the tree

The trees occasionally become infected with a parasite/fungus mould and the resin is produced as a natural immune response to a fungal attack. As the fungus grows, the tree produces a very rich, dark resin within the infected area. This resinous wood is valued very high and treasured around the world since the odour of this wood(agarwood) is pleasing and unique with no resemblence to other natural floral perfumes.

1 comment:

  1. I grew up as a boy in Saudi Arabia- my mother worked there for 20 years. I later returned to the area and worked in Dubai. My mother turned me onto Oud. It is bar far my most favorite scent on the planet. After she passed, this scent reminds me of her and helps me feel solace. :)

    ReplyDelete

for all nice and lovely words and all kind of suggestions. Any racist or anti-islamic comments willl be deleted!